5 Must-Have Vitamins to Boost Your Immune System Against COVID-19
Without a vaccine, our immune system is our last defense against COVID-19. While we’re waiting for the cure and enforcing safety measures, we must have a rainbow diet, exercise, and extra support from vitamins to boost our immune system and aid nutrient deficiency.
Vitamins and nutrients are needed to keep a healthy immune system. Stress and poor diet can cause vitamin deficiency which can affect our immune function. Therefore, making us more susceptible to viral infections like COVID-19.
Reminders in Taking Vitamins
Take precautions in taking vitamins even if they seem to be safe. Please take note of the following:
- Supplements are not the cure for coronavirus and there’s still no drug or vaccine that can prevent or treat COVID-19.
- Not all supplements are safe to take without the doctor’s advice. Some vitamins need a prescription. Too much calcium, for example, can lead to a medical condition called hypercalcemia.
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist first if you’re taking other medications. The vitamins may react with your prescriptions and may cause further complications to your health condition.
- Vitamin overdose can lead to a serious medical condition. Take them as prescribed and within the bounds of daily recommended intake. Carolina Pharmacy offers medication synchronization services to help patients manage their prescription medications and check if they’re taking the right dosage.
5 Vitamins to boost your immune system amid the pandemic
A rainbow diet consisting of fruits and vegetables can help supply the nutrients we need every day. There are daily recommended amounts of vitamins that you’re allowed to take.
If you are not getting enough nutrients from your diet and lifestyle, supplements can help supply the following vitamins:
Vitamin D is a steroid-like hormone that helps regulate the immune responses of our body to viral infections. We, humans, are like plants who need sunlight as our natural source of Vitamin D.
However, due to the lockdown, some have less time to get a good amount of sunlight to maintain the daily recommended amount of vitamin D. You may bank on Vitamin D supplements or choose food sources rich in Vitamin D to prevent deficiency.
Vitamin C is known for its contribution to boosting the immune system. It is responsible for the following roles in the body:
- Creates oxygen radicals that serve as the weapon of the body against pathogens
- Involved in creating antibodies that aid in identifying if a person is infected with COVID-19 or not
- Contains a lot of antioxidants
- Supports the function and ability of immune cells to fight against infection
- Contributes to cellular death by removing the old cells and replacing them with new ones
Zinc is the gatekeeper of the immune function, according to this study. It regulates the number of immune cells and helps the immune system decide when to attack and when to tolerate the pathogens entering our body.
Deficiency of this vitamin can lead to the malfunction of the internal defenses of our immune system that can make us susceptible to respiratory infections.
Protein is responsible for repairing damaged tissues and cells. It is the main component in the survival of antibodies and immune cells. Protein deficiency can paralyze our immune function and makes it harder for our body’s defense system to fight viruses.
According to this report, a clinical trial using the protein inhalation method has decreased the need for respirators in COVID-19 patients by 79%. Their immune response has shown hope to researchers due to the significant results it produced.
Vitamin A plays an essential role in maintaining the functional integrity of mucosal cells and immune cells in our skin and the covering of our organs. Keeping up with your vitamin A intake helps your immune function to fight and defend the body from the transmission of the COVID-19 virus through the eyes, nose, and skin.
These vitamins may not be the cure for COVID-19, but lacking them can put you into a higher risk of getting infected. Even this small gesture of self-care by maintaining your immune system can go a long way in keeping you and your family safe during these uncertain times.
Get your supplements safely at Carolina Pharmacy
The world has stopped for a while as most businesses are closed, but we at Carolina Pharmacy, are always ready to serve your medical needs. You can safely get your medications through our curbside or drive-through dispensing services at our Charlotte, Rock Hill and Lancaster locations.
Don’t let your guard down and keep your immune system healthy through a healthy diet and active lifestyle, even at the comforts of your home. If you feel that you need more vitamins to boost your immune system, let us assist you with your prescriptions by contacting us.