Since hypertension has become rampant in the past few years, Carolina Pharmacy has done its part in helping patients manage hypertension and educate them on how to maintain the normal blood pressure thru lifestyle changes and maintenance medicine.
Better Hypertension Management through Education
What is hypertension?
How do you know you have hypertension?
Hypertension (HPT or HT) is also known as high blood pressure (HBP). This is the persistent elevation of blood pressure in the arteries.
Hypertension does not usually show any kinds of symptoms. It can be identified through direct screening or when seeking medical check-up for related or unrelated health conditions. When hypertension is detected, indication of headache, lightheadedness or vertigo, tinnitus, and altered vision or fading episodes can be observed.
Acquiring hypertension may be attributed to the following:
- Aging. There is no denying that as a person ages, the body becomes more susceptible to illnesses and diseases like hypertension.
- Food or the diet being observed. Excessive sodium or salt intake can lead to HPT, cardiovascular conditions and other diseases. Too much sugar and fat-laden diets can also contribute to HPT, diabetes and other illnesses.
- Other medical conditions of a patient. At times hypertension can be caused by a complication from other medical conditions like sleep apnea; kidney problems; Cushing’s syndrome; diabetes; heart disease; thyroid disorders; and other diseases.
- Sedentary lifestyle. A person who lacks exercise is likely to be at risk of acquiring hypertension; \weight gain; heart conditions and other illnesses.
- Vices. Excessive drinking of alcohol, smoking or using of recreational drugs like stimulants and depressants can cause damages to the heart and arteries which spawns to the risk of having high blood pressure.
Insufficiency of certain nutrients in the body. Nutrients like potassium balances the level of sodium in body cells. Thus, it is best to eat potassium-rich food like banana, sweet potato, winter squash, yogurt, white beans, beetroot and other tubers.
- Medication intake. Hypertension has been listed as one of the top potential side effects of a variety of medications. Some of the most common medications that may lead to hypertension are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, decongestants, certain antidepressants and hormonal birth control.
- Excessive Stress. Too much stress causes the adrenal glands to pump out hormones that increase blood pressure, hence, causing hypertension.
What is hypertension management?
Hypertension can be managed by changing your lifestyle and by the intake of antihypertensive medications. With the proper intake of antihypertensive medicines, a patient can cause their blood pressure to decrease.
Reducing the blood pressure by 5 mmHg can decrease the risk of complications like stroke, ischaemic heart disease, dementia, heart failure and cardiovascular disease. At Carolina Pharmacy, the patient’s cardiovascular condition including myocardial infarction and stroke are taken into consideration.
Our pharmacists aim to get a more accurate picture of the patient’s medication risks when offering hypertensive medications. This way we are able to provide the proper anti-hypertensive medication and at the same time educate our patients about managing their hypertension.
Another way to lower the risk of having hypertension is to modify your lifestyle. In fact, the first line of defense against any disease is making healthy choices for life.
Lifestyle modifications include the following:
- Changes in your diet. Dietary changes may include diets with low sodium intake, increase in vegetable and fruit intakes, increase in potassium, calcium, magnesium and protein intake and consumption of healthy drinks like green tea.
- Physical exercise routines. Various physical exercise regimens have emerged to maintain a physically and mentally fit body. Isometric resistance, aerobic and other resistance exercises, and device-guided breathing can help reduce blood pressure.
Techniques for reducing stress. Biofeedback, transcendental meditation or yoga may be considered as non-medication treatments for hypertension. Other healthier ways to de-stress include physical activities, socializing, laughter and healthy eating and drinking.
- Self-check blood pressure monitor. Our friendly pharmacists will teach you the proper way and the most optimum time to use blood pressure monitor at home.
- Appointment reminders and medication refills. Set your appointment reminders to ensure regular visits to your physician and to visit a Carolina Pharmacy near you for the refill of your hypertension prescription. This includes any compounding necessary to customize your antihypertensive medication.
At Carolina Pharmacy, we help patients with hypertension by educating them about anti-hypertensive medication and lifestyle modifications. Our goal is to provide healthy choices for our patients because you and your health are our top priority!
Carolina Pharmacy offers education about hypertension management to help you lower the risk if not eliminate acquiring hypertension and other related illnesses and diseases.
It is always best to consult your physician or your trusted pharmacists to provide you with medications that are less susceptible to harsh side effects. Carolina Pharmacy also provides pharmacogenetic testing and compounding to cater to your prescription needs and to ensure that your medication is customized to meet the specific needs of your body.
At Carolina Pharmacy, we also offer prescription refills for your antihypertensive medication and have them delivered to your home or office.
For your hypertension medication management and education visit our pharmacies Arboretum, Hwy 9 Bypass, Meeting Street, Rock Hill, Airport Road, and the Walker’s Drug Store. You may contact us at (866) 846-8809.
Dare to Compare & Save
Carolina Pharmacy Location Near You
At Carolina Pharmacy, we care about our patients. Here, we offer a wide variety of services that our patients can choose from to improve their health.
Being locally owned enables us to take the time needed to provide better and more personalized care. The outcome is that you and your family can easily manage and maintain a healthy lifestyle with our fast services, convenient medication delivery, newsletters, and more. Healthy living has never been this easy!
Check below to see if there is a Carolina Pharmacy location near you to save on your prescriptions!
About Carolina Pharmacy:
Carolina Pharmacy is a patient-focused independent pharmacy in Charlotte, Lancaster, and Rock Hill. We are dedicated to providing the best patient care and high-quality health products to support our customers’ recovery and well-being.
Our pharmacists consult and educate our patients on tips and techniques for managing their conditions and living a healthy lifestyle. Here at Carolina Pharmacy, you are our top priority!
Fast, professional, quality and friendly service are what make us the best pharmacy in Charlotte, Rock Hill, and Lancaster. Our services include prescription refills and medication delivery tailored to fit your busy lifestyle. When you sign up for our service, we will help you adhere to your medication plan with our email and text alerts!
Subscribe to our newsletters to learn more about living a healthy lifestyle and get professional answers to any questions and concerns you might have!
At Carolina Pharmacy, your health is our main concern.